Albedo (not libido)

Albedo is the reflection of heat by the earth back into space.  Once heat arrives through the atmosphere to the earth’s surface, variable amounts of that heat is reflected back up into the atmosphere, and eventually into space.  Surfaces such as ice and snow that reflect a high amount of heat have a high albedo.  Surfaces that absorb rather than reflect heat, such as sea and rock, have a low albedo.

Overall, the Earth reflects about 30% of the sunlight that reaches it from space; it has an albedo of around 0.3. The other 70% is absorbed.  Without any blanket gases around the earth, this alebdo of 0.3 would give us an average temperature across the globe of -18C.
The more ice melts at the poles, the less heat is reflected by ice and snow, and the more heat is absorbed by water.  In this way the albedo of the earth is decreased.
And I don’t think I need to define libido…
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s